Re: <spoiler> element

Anne van Kesteren schreef:
>>> They tried this more or less with SVG. It seems that nobody really
>>> understood
>>> the concept of namespaces. Lots of ocntent out there uses
>>> xlink:href="" where
>>> xlink is bound to no namespace. The leading product simply assumes
>>> that it is
>>> bound to http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink ignoring the fact that the
>>> document is
>>> non namespace-well-formed.
>>
>> Oh, what a nonsense! SVG documents are seldom hand-authored, so
>> no-one ever deals with xlink.
>
> The people who wrote the SVG authoring tools had to deal with XLink.
> The people
> who do handwrite SVG have to deal with it. And both mostly fail. I'm
> not sure
> what your point regarding "nonsense" is as I'm simply telling what Opera
> encountered and I believe Mozilla encountered as well.
>
> That there is one implementation based on the fact that the DTD presets
> xmlns:xlink and xmlns, well... The documents do validate, for example...

Well, yes, they should never have done that. But that’s another issue.

>> No, the cause of the abuse of the xlink prefix is *exactly* that the
>> leading product doesn’t have a proper XML parser (fyi: it accepts
>> more things that are invalid XML, such as <circle> without closing
>> /), and that because of that authoring tools can (and do) get away
>> with generating invalid XML. The whole point of XML having strict
>> error handling is to avoid problems like this.
>
> So what again was nonsense? I believe I pointed this out...

My impression was that you were talking about hand-authoring of XLink.
Hand-authoring would often be the case for XHTML, and I agree that
generally people know too little about namespaces to properly apply them.

However, I think the comparison with Adobe’s SVG implementation is off,
the situation is quite different. It’s is not an authoring problem. At
least from UA implementors I would expect them to understand such basic
XML concepts, and I really can’t understand how the Adobe SVG reader’s
current situation could ever arise. The fact that authoring tools (or
the occasional hand-author) generate non-well-formed XML is not caused
by namespaces, but by the broken parser implementation of such a mayor
player and by the specification having the SVG and XLink namespaces be
implied in the DTD.

Anyways, as I said above, for the case of XHTML I absolutely agree with
you that having to use different namespaces in common markup is not a
good idea.

~Grauw