Re: Embedding attributes and including content, vs. XFrames

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:12, you wrote:
> > But as for putting content in separate files, first we thought that
> > XInclude would be neat because it does exactly this.
>
> I don't think this should be done on the client at all, but the server.
> But if we absolutely have to separate content all the way out to the
> client, XInclude is a better solution than XFrames.

The use case here is caching.

If I have a sidebar in my HTML which is 1kb of mark-up, then every time
someone caches that sidebar, I save 1kb of bandwidth.  If the site is
something with high throughput like Slashdot, for example, the bandwidth
savings here could be absolutely enormous.

But like I said, another way I can do this is to deliver an XHTML2 page
without the sidebar, and have an <?xml-stylesheet?> in the header to style
the page to put the sidebar in.  It would just be neater with XInclude, I
suspect, but no mention of XInclude is in the XHTML2 spec at all.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/