Re: Embedding attributes and including content, vs. XFrames

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:46:57 +1100, Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
wrote:

> The guy was bewildered because XFrames was being put forward instead of
> frames just being deprecated in their entirety.  I agreed, and put forth
> the idea that if XInclude were in the spec, we wouldn't need frames at
> all.

I agree wholeheartedly with this and think that XFrames is a really bad
idea. Not any better than frames ever were, at least (and they were
horrific).

> But as for putting content in separate files, first we thought that
> XInclude would be neat because it does exactly this.

I don't think this should be done on the client at all, but the server.
But if we absolutely have to separate content all the way out to the
client, XInclude is a better solution than XFrames.

> 1. Is this a perceived, or a sensible, usage of the Embedding Attributes?

I don't think so. I think that as much information as possible should be
provided inline, included on the server (if separation is necessary).

> 2. If this were used, would the HTML files pointed to by the "src"
>    attribute be full XHTML2 files, or would they contain merely the
>    fragment which is to be included?

Good question. In Atom[1], 'application/xhtml+xml' og 'text/html' is being
debated over, whether they represent full (X)HTML documents (with DOCTYPE
and everything) or just fragments. I don't think we have reached any
consensus on the matter yet.

It would be interesting to get some input from the HTML WG about this
particular issue and what their thoughts are.

____
[1] <url: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/atompub-charter.html>

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/