Re: Why the "Embedding" attribute set? Why not just use "object"?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: Paul Crowley <ciphergoth@gmail.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

[This should be in www-html, rather than www-html-editor since it's not
really an issue.  It's more general discussion, so I've changed the
recipient to be www-html@w3.org]

Paul Crowley wrote:
> I can't work out what it is that including the "Embedding" attributes
> in the common attribute set offers that the "object" tag can't already
> do in a neater and more general way - I'd appreciate a pointer to the
> discussion that led to this decision.
> I tried to check the comment archive to see if this question was
> already answered, but the large amount of archived spam made this
> impossible...

The embedding attribute collection allows *any* element to be an object
such as an image, and therefore, more accurately represent the semantics
of the content.

<h src="/images/heading" type="image/png,image/gif">Heading</h>

which is better than having to do

<h><object data="/images/heading"

or if you really want pixel perfection in all graphical browsers, then:

But I don't recommed that. :-)

read through the examples in the spec [1], there are a few good ones in
there, that should explain a lot more than I have.

Lachlan Hunt