Re: Target attrib in HTML 4.01 Strict

On 2/7/04 2:55 PM, "Toby A Inkster" <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:00:26PM -0500, Justin Wood wrote:
> | It is in my opinion that the target attribute should be in HTML 4.01
> | strict with the following guideline, only the built-in uses for target
> | should be recognized, (_blank, _top, etc.)
>
> Well sorry, but you're a bit late. HTML 4.01 Strict was finalised some
> time last century. No chance of getting a last minute change in now!

However, you can always file an erratum against HTML4.01 if you think that
the omission of 'target' from Strict was an error.

> | It is my understanding there is currently no CSS1, CSS2, or proposed
> | CSS3 property to achieve this.
>
> No there's not,...

Justin's original statement was precisely correct.  There is *currently* no
CSS property, nor any *public* proposed CSS3 property to achieve target-like
affects.

However, this is something that the CSS working group is working on, since
the presentation of hyperlinks is something that an author should be able to
specify using CSS.

Please feel free to follow-up with suggestions to www-style@w3.org.

Tantek