Re: complexity (was: Re: XHTML and RDF)

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:28:46 +0200
To: "Orion Adrian" <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

* Orion Adrian wrote:
>Admittedly I'm venting. I'm venting because I'm frustrated with how the
>specs have turned out. And I'm dissappointed with how the specs turned out
>for a lot of technologoies. XLink, RDF, OWL, XML Schema are just a few. I'm
>dissapointed with little oversights that could have made these truly usable
>to me, but they just aren't.

All you need to do is to come up with something better and convince the
community, ideally early on the W3C Recommendation Track, but there is
of course nothing wrong with developing Technologies outside W3C.
Leaning back and complaining does not yield in better technology.

>Thanks for the link. My desire for simplicity is for authorship first and
>implementation second. Why? Because these documents are going to be authored
>a lot more often than implemented.

But note that comlexity for implementations likely reduces the quality
of the implementation which would make authoring more difficult (hacks,
workarounds, alternate documents, etc) these two notions of simplicity
depend on each other most of the time.