Re: <?import

From: Andrew Clover <and@doxdesk.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:58:52 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Allan Ford <Allan.Ford@santos.com> wrote:

> I was wondering where the <?import> tag fits re. standards...

I guess you mean this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/pi/import.asp

It's invalid HTML and hideously malformed XHTML (due to lack of '?>' to
close, it's not even a valid XML Processing Instruction, much less a
tag). Plus the use of <element xmlns:something> without an attribute
value, which is usually used together with it, is also malformed in HTML
and XML.

I strongly advise against use of <?import>. Even if you must use IE's
'behaviors' model there are better ways of doing it, that don't break
all other XML tools.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and@doxdesk.com