Re: Question: XHTML Tables Module

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:37:22 +0200 (MEST)
To: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> >>Consider the rough example:

> >>		<th scope="row">Title:</th>
> >>		<th scope="row">Name:</th>
> >>
> >>And explain to me how you could do the same using the <thead> element.
> >

> > I normally would use a horizontal structure, not a vertical
>
> Then add another 23 key-value pairs and have fun with horizontal
> scrolling.

Well, I see what you mean, but it's rather an exception having a table flat
like this, ain't it? Again, what about the <thead /> element now? Assuming
you can't use it in this case -- if it was optional, why should we keep it when
<th /> offers a better solution for (semantically) highlighting the
corresponding content (that's what it seems to do)? Otherwise, if the <thead /> was
mandatory, what should I do in this case?

The reason why I formulate this topic that provocative (by asking 'stupid'
questions) is really simple: Maybe (or definitely) there are elements not
needed that urgent, or there is an inconsequent model for a specific module (like
the Tables Module here). I can't conceal that I miss some 'elegance' here.

Best regards,
 Jens.

--
Jens Meiert