Re: Scripting DTD's

Ernest Cline wrote:

> From: Lachlan Hunt <lhunt07@postoffice.csu.edu.au>
>
>>AaronEldreth@cs.com wrote:
>>

>>>The DTD would simply tell the browser how to interpret the If...then,
>>>else, case and other handlers. XML or at least XHTML would be
>>>stretched from a SGML based language, to a universal programming
>>>language capable of doing anything.
>>
>>  XHTML is not and should not be a programming language.  XHTML is
>>called "Extensible HyperText Markup Language", NOT "Extensible HyperText
>>Multipurpose Language", and, therefore, it is designed for marking up
>>structure in documents only, and that's how it should stay.  Scripting
>>XML documents is the domain of the Document Object Model [DOM] and the
>>scripting language standards, like ECMAScript [ECMA-262].
>>
>>[DOM] http://www.w3.org/DOM/
>>[ECMA-262]
>>http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm
>

> While it would  be possible to write an SGML DTD that would check
> for the validity of some ECMAScript, in either a separate file or
> as part of an (X)HTML file, I'd have to question its utility.  At best
> it would have the ability to check that it's syntactically valid,
> and that is but a small part of what I would want from anything that
> verified a script file.  Besides, using a DTD for that purpose is
>  akin to using a piledriver to crack nuts. It could do it,
> but it probably isn't worth the effort it would take to ensure you
> get shelled nuts and not nut butter.
>
>  (Given the subset of SGML that XML is, I don't think it's possible
>  to generate an XML DTD that would check for the syntactic
> validity of ECMAScript , but I may be wrong.)

I'm not sure if this is applicable or pertinent, but my css animator
system (barely in alpha) does something akin to what you guys/gals are
jawing.  Turn on your javascript and dom2 browsers for this baby.  Read
the 'info' to see how I used a xml-like markup as a "command language",
or look to the bottom of the source.  Have I written a dtd for the new
markup?  No.  Wanna?  Please do. :)  Best wishes.  Wingnut

http://www.winternet.com/~wingnut/html/test/jackal/jackal56.htm

PS: If you drive konquerer or some of the other Mozilla offshoots, feel
free to email me direct with seen anomalies. thx.