Re: XHTML with Internet Explorer

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:31:51 -0000
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, <www-html@w3.org>

I'll give a full response later, but...

> > Yes, but XHTML1 specifically allows XHTML documents to be served as
> > text/html, it does not say anywhere that I can see that they will be
> > processed as HTML (the informative Appendix C says this, but as you've
> > explained that is informative not normative)
>
> This is because the RFC for text/html specifies that.

Could you specify exactly where it says that, I can only see it saying

      In addition, [XHTML1]
      defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
      4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.

Which doesn't actually place any requirements on how XHTML 1 be processed,
it just states the (incorrect) fact that the profile makes it compatible
with HTML 4.01

Jim.