Re: XHTML with Internet Explorer

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:36:05 -0000
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, <www-html@w3.org>

"Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote in message
news:022801c3a165$85d89b80$df13fea9@srx41p...

> Appendix C basically points out that there is a class of XHTML1 documents
> that can be delivered successfully to legacy browsers,

The normative 5.1 states:

| HTML Documents which follow the guidelines set forth in
| Appendix C, "HTML Compatibility Guidelines" may be
| labeled with the Internet Media Type "text/html" [RFC2854]

This normative part requires that documents served as text/html must "follow
the guidelines set forth in Appendix C".  If this incorrect this needs
clarifying.

> for instance using content negotiation.

I don't understand this, if you're using content-negotiation it would be
trivial to serve appropiate versions of the document.

> Which outstanding issues are those?

XHTML-1.0/6232   for example.

> XHTML1 is an XML application, and that is its only intended use. The
correct
> media type for it is application/xhtml+xml (though there is nothing in
> RFC3023 (for XML Media types) that makes it illegal to serve it as
text/xml
> or application/xml, which indeed some browsers do accept.)

If this is the case then correcting 5.1 of XHTML 1  to state this would be
seem to relevant, as that is not what 5.1 says, as it says they may be
labelled at "text/html" and may also be labelled as "application/xhtml+xml"
.
> "The 'application/xhtml+xml' media type [RFC3236] is THE media type for
> XHTML Family document types"

This is from an informative note, and is different to Section 5.1 of XHTML1.
If this is the WG's opinion then 5.1 needs changing.

> So Tantek is right: if you serve a XHTML1 document as text/html to IE, it
> will be processed as HTML, which is correct behaviour: if I serve a
document
> as text/html, I am asking for it to be processed as HTML;

Yes, but XHTML1 specifically allows XHTML documents to be served as
text/html, it does not say anywhere that I can see that they will be
processed as HTML (the informative Appendix C says this, but as you've
explained that is informative not normative)

Jim.

[apologies for the duplication, I am unsure why the last 2 were truncated,
trying this one not through news.gmane.org]