Re: XHTML with Internet Explorer

"Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote in message
news:022801c3a165$85d89b80$df13fea9@srx41p...

> Appendix C basically points out that there is a class of XHTML1 documents
> that can be delivered successfully to legacy browsers,

The normative 5.1 states:

| HTML Documents which follow the guidelines set forth in
| Appendix C, "HTML Compatibility Guidelines" may be
| labeled with the Internet Media Type "text/html" [RFC2854]

This normative part requires that documents served as text/html must "follow
the guidelines set forth in Appendix C".  If this incorrect this needs
clarifying.

> for instance using content negotiation.

I don't understand this, if you're using content-negotiation it would be
trivial to serve appropiate versions of the document.

> Which outstanding issues are those?

XHTML-1.0/6232   for example.

> XHTML1 is an XML application, and that is its only intended use. The
correct
> media type for it is application/xhtml+xml (though there is nothing in
> RFC3023 (for XML Media types) that makes it illegal to serve it as
text/xml
> or application/xml, which indeed some browsers do accept.)

If this is the case then correcting 5.1 of XHTML 1  to state this would be
seem to relevant, as that is not what 5.1 says, as it says they may be
labelled at "text/html" and may also be labelled as "application/xhtml+xml"