Re: XHTML2 MIME type

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@huftis.org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:31:53 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Chason Chaffin <cchaffin@infoserv.itis.uh.edu> wrote in
news:14F874B2-8587-11D7-8D0A-003065E0687A@infoserv.itis.uh.edu:

> I don't think an argument can be made that the character
> references aren't at least somewhat useful for people who
> handwrite their code,

Yes, I agree, of course. They are *somewhat* useful, but not
useful enough to warrant inclusion in XHTML 2, IMHO.

> and additionally, they make it far
> easier for a novice to read code.

And it's even easier to read code with characters written
directly, without using *either* entity or character references.
Modern source-oriented XHTML editing tools *should* support ways
to insert 'non-ASCII' character easily.

> have you ever tried teaching an HTML beginner to type
> numerical character references?

I don't think they would have any more trouble looking up
numerical characters in a table than looking up the
corresponding named ones. But looking up entities or characters
codes shouldn't really be necessary.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
http://blogg.huftis.org/