Re: The style attribute, again

From: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:57:31 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:

> That's a travesty of the whole original concept of HTML:  to allow the
> individuals creating the information to author their own pages, by making
> the language simple enough.

Unfortunately, and it's really weird that so few people here think about them,
the Web has also _users_. And these users may want to annotate a document
without having a full control, from a CSS point of view, on it. In particular,
pushing annotation styles from a style attribute to a stylesheet, through a
class selector for instance, is totally pointless if the context of the element
make it get styles of higher specificity that will override the said class.

In other words, if you think of users, and if we stay in a world of CASCADING
stylesheets, you _need_ inline styles to handle semanticless annotations.

</Daniel>
--
Mozilla module owner of Composer