RE: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 18:50:31 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Tantek wrote:

> In some cases, it turned out HTML4 "Strict" made a few removal errors
> ('target','start','value' attributes), and the only W3C valid way of
> using these removed features is to use the HTML4/XHTML1 Transitional
> DTDs.

Indeed.

As to 'target', the prime objections are:

1) It's mostly for frames, and should thus go.

2) Opening new windows ("_blank") is a UA thing, not a part of the domain of
documents.

3) "*I* will decide when to open a new window. I don't want some rude author
deciding for me."

I'm not completely unsympathetic to any of those arguments, especially #1,
as I've never much cared for frames.

Argument #3, though, has always struck me as a bit silly.  This should be a
UA preference, not a religious one.

With #2, I think the objectors do have a point.  Wouldn't it be neater if
instead of

	<a target="_blank" href="someurl">click here</a>

we could define it as ...

	<a class="external" href="someurl">click here</a>

and the author defines what "external" means somewhere else (and which can
always be ignored by UAs configured properly)?

/Jelks