Re: Against 'start' and 'value' attributes

From: Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:47:26 +0100
To: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>, www-html@w3.org

Hi Etan,

Am Sonntag, 14. Dezember 2003 15:00 schrieb Etan Wexler:
> [do not include physical start and value attributes in favour of logical
continue attribute]

Though I do not agree with the date settings of your computer ;-) I do very
much agree with your objections, which I find well argued and more than
reasonable. I always prefer good automatic logical markup over physical
markup that needs manual work.

To supplement Etan's objections I want to argue giving yet another example:

<h4>Important colors</h4>
<ol>
	<li>red</li>
	<li>green</li>
	<li>blue</li>
</ol>
<ol start="3" continue="#xpointer(preceeding-sibling::ol)">
	<li>black</li>
	<li>white</li>
</ol>

(I don't know wether my xpointer syntax was correct because I didn't read the
XPointer technical reports yet, I just browsed them)

The XPath used in the xpointer of the continue URL always refers to the
previous (unnested) ol.

Now when I insert a new color in the first list, the start attribute requires
changes while the continue doesn't.
The continue attribute will even work when inserting the following in the
first list:
<li>
	reddish colors
	<ol>
		<li>pink</li>
		<li>maroon</li>
		<li>magenta</li>
		<li>orange</li>
		<li>purple</li>
		<li>violet</li>
		<li>brown</li>
	</ol>
</li>

I'm just too tired to think of how the continue-xpointer and CSS might work
together.

If this was a voting against start/value pro continue, I'd say +1.
Etan, you definitely got me on your side.

I also like the idea of giving browser vendors more reasons to implement good
stuff like Namespaces, XPath, XPointer, XML Schema etc..

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer