Re: Next Page Link

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:36:22 -0600, Dave Straight
<dstraight@amadorgroup.com> wrote:

> I would love to see a tag that you could use to make multi-page documents
> easily accessible.  What I mean is a <next> tag that would allow users to
> just click some function button or key and the next page would be loaded
> automatically.

This feature has been in HTML ever since HTML 2.0, ref.
<URL:http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.2.4>. The sad
part is: just recently has mainstream user agents added support for it.

(You should also check out the HTML 4.01 spec:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK> )

Some user agents that support this:

- Opera 7
- Mozilla / Netscape 6/7 / Mozilla FireBird
- Links
- Lynx

The culprit is, as always, Microsoft Internet Explorer in any flavour, with
no support at all.

The user agents that support this usually provide a navigation bar, where
the available link relationships are visible.  If you want an example of
how this works, I suggest getting a browser like Opera 7, and test with a
page like <URL:http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/99.html>, where you will
see a navigation bar offering Previous, Next, Index, Search and About
links.

(The list is by no means exhaustive, these are just the ones that I
remembered while typing)

--
Arve Bersvendsen

http://www.virtuelvis.com