Re: My thoughts on XHTML 2

From: Petr Baudis <pasky@ucw.cz>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:13:50 +0100
To: Kelvin Chung <kelvsyc@shaw.ca>

Dear diary, on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:34:41PM CET, I got a letter,
where Kelvin Chung <kelvsyc@shaw.ca> told me, that...
..snip..
> 1. <hr> - although it possesses some semantic meaning, it's in the
> "presentation" module.  If <hr> is "purely presentational" as its position
> implies, wouldn't something like the skeleton example below suffice?
>
> <l src="hr.gif">* * *</l>
>
> Thus, <hr> either needs to be retooled so as to make its semantic meaning
> clear, or be removed completely.

The example given works well only for graphics browsers. Ie. text browsers
usually have nice means to show <hr/>, but * * * would mean a serious
degradation.  Similiar for aural media etc.

When thinking about the media independence, though, maybe it would be better to
rename it to something like <separator/> ? This would make its semantical
meaning clear while not implying any particular presentation style (altough a
horizontal line should probably stay recommended for visual browsers).

Kind regards,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.