Re: My thoughts on XHTML 2

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:34:41PM CET, I got a letter,
> where Kelvin Chung <kelvsyc@shaw.ca> told me, that...

>><l src="hr.gif">* * *</l>

> The example given works well only for graphics browsers. Ie. text browsers
> usually have nice means to show <hr/>, but * * * would mean a serious
> degradation.  Similiar for aural media etc.

I agree. Using hacks like this isn't the way to go.

> When thinking about the media independence, though, maybe it would be
> better to rename it to something like <separator/> ? This would make
> its semantical meaning clear while not implying any particular
> presentation style (altough a horizontal line should probably stay
> recommended for visual browsers).

Two things:
1) I think <pause/> would be better if you really think something like
this should be included.
2) Why do you need such pause/separator in the first case? To separate
two different things? Aren't headers meant for that? Usually when I see
an <hr> or something like that, it comes to my mind that the author
really tried to say "I cannot come up with any text for the header but
these two things don't belong together."

If XHTML2 user agents have reasonable default rendering like |body >
section { margin-bottom: 3em; }|, |section + section { border-top:
medium solid black;}| or |body > section > h { border-bottom: thin solid
black; }| we shouldn't need any separator/pause element. (Equivalent
rendering instructions should be recommended for aural media. I don't
know that well enough to suggest anything.)

--
Mikko