Re: [OT] Pages won't validate as XHTML because of Char Encoding

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:02:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> In order to make my pages valid XHTML 1.0, I am required to specify a
* character encoding. However, in order to be able to easily update this
* encoding in the future, I do not want to use the meta tags.

[Off topic - How to question]
True XHTML uses the processing instruction, not a meta *element*.  Why
are you not using HTML 4.01?

validator.w3.org will, I believe, use a charset specified using real HTTP.