Re: Re[4]: Proposal for XHTML 2.0: The <footnote> element

From: Lorenzo De Tomasi <lorenzo.detomasi@libero.it>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:41:31 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

on 15-01-2003 23:48, Alexander Savenkov at w3@hotbox.ru wrote:

> At first it has to be asked: what do you mean by a footnote? If the
> answer is "a piece of text in smaller font" then one would say
> it's a matter of style. If the answer is "a piece of text outside the
> 'main flow'" then an explanation is required.

A note is different from a section because it's similar to a link (in the
text) to an anchor (in a piece of text outside the 'main flow'), but there
is no an <a> link, but a visual link made with a symbol like a superscript
number or letter, an arrow, etc put both in the 'main flow' text and at the
beginning of the note. So we should use a solution similar to lists <ol>
<ul>, that automatically sets the position (foot, end, side, etc.)  and the
symbol for each note.

Lorenzo De Tomasi, student of Information Architecture, Interface Design and
Visual Design
via Bellaria 6, 21018 Sesto Calende (Varese), Italia
phone: +39 (0)331 924649
mobile: +39 329 3941065; +39 333 8979304
e-mail: lorenzo.detomasi@libero.it; lorenzo.detomasi@email.it
website: http://biografica.tzone.it
ICQ uin: 11313132
Yahoo! Instant Messenger id: tummait