XHTML 2.0: Stay the course

From: Micah Dubinko <MDubinko@cardiff.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:22:30 -0800
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

This is just a short response to the whole 'XHTML 2 considered harmful'
meme.

I recently went through the recent XHTML 2 drafts carefully to get a handle
on what has changed. The results are at [1]. Less has changed than the
impression I got from reading various blogs this week. :-)

I see lots of conflicting wants and needs on this list. The reasonable
course is to keep moving forward. I don't support the notion of scrapping or
renaming XHTML 2.0. Prioritization is worth discussing, as always.

Specific issues (<cite>, 'style' attribute, <separator/>, etc.) are all
solvable problems, especially when clear goals are in mind [2].

Given all the discussions, especially recently, it would be good for the
HTML WG to pause and write up a separate requirements document, which would
help everybody understand the goal and tradeoffs inherent in the work being
done.

Thanks,

.micah

[1] http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1870