From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 5:18 PM
To: Micah Dubinko <MDubinko@cardiff.com>, "'www-html@w3.org'"
<www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: XHTML 2.0: Stay the course

On 1/15/03 2:22 PM, "Micah Dubinko" <MDubinko@cardiff.com> wrote:

> This is just a short response to the whole 'XHTML 2 considered
harmful'
> meme.
>
> I recently went through the recent XHTML 2 drafts carefully to get a
handle
> on what has changed. The results are at [1]. Less has changed than the

> impression I got from reading various blogs this week. :_)

The problem is not just what has changed, but what is being pushed to
change
(vis_a_vis XLink ugliness and other usability_unfriendly "generic XML"
short_sightedness).

> I see lots of conflicting wants and needs on this list. The reasonable

> course is to keep moving forward. I don't support the notion of
scrapping or
> renaming XHTML 2.0. Prioritization is worth discussing, as always.

I agree with your last point that prioritization is worth discussing.

  HYPERLINK "http://tantek.com/log/2003/01.html#L20030114t1345"
\nhttp://tantek.com/log/2003/01.html#L20030114t1345

> Specific issues (<cite>, 'style' attribute, <separator/>, etc.) are
all
> solvable problems, especially when clear goals are in mind [2].

The fact that they arose as problems to begin with indicates that the
process (or priorities, or both) are seriously broken as Daniel Glazman
pointed out.

> Given all the discussions, especially recently, it would be good for
the
> HTML WG to pause and write up a separate requirements document, which
would
> help everybody understand the goal and tradeoffs inherent in the work
being
> done.

Completely agreed.

My comments on the goals:

Having thought about XHTML2 and its goals more, and where the web is
today
and could/should be tomorrow, I think XHTML2 as scoped does not make any

sense for the HTML WG to work on.

In my opinion the problems from XHTML2 can be traced back to two design
goals:
 1. Use more "generic XML" technologies
 2. Not be backward compatible

As long as XHTML2 has these two "requirements", I think it will only be
bad
for the web and fail.

I believe in prioritizing and focusing time and effort on:
  1. HTML4 errata and test suites
  2. the same for XHTML 1.x
  3. a further simplified/reduced XHTML Basic 1.1
  4. profiles of SVG and SMIL that could be added to XHTML Basic for a
richer interactive media format.

Rather than a fear_inspiring XHTML2, I would like to see:
  1. improved versions of some of the modules in XHTML M18N,
  2. perhaps even a new module or two with new elements (like some of
the
new elements in XHTML2 which I do think have merit).

Whether those modules get bundled up into
 a new version of XHTML is
another
matter, and perhaps a lot less relevant, because authors should
theoretically be able to simply pick and choose modules to form their
own
XHTML family language.

Someone said on www_html that XHTML 2.0 is going to be like HTML 3.0.
I think that is optimistic at best.

Thanks,

Tantek

---