Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:37:41 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Mikko Rantalainen <mira@cc.jyu.fi>, Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>, www-html@w3.org

Quoting Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>:

> > You cannot copy and paste *content with the styling information only* if
> > the target medium is sematic one, like (X)HTML. Period.
>
> While this may be what you would like to be the case, in the real world (of
> wysiwyg HTML editors, which you probably think cannot exist either) this
> situation is not necessarily acceptable.  You _do_ want to be able to copy a
> paragraph out of an HTML e-mail and into a document you're writing and
> (optionally) preserve the style.

Only if "you" are someone who wants to use HTML as a stylistic formatting
language, rather than semantic markup; in which case I think it's clear that
XHTML 2.0 in not directed at you.

What's good for the Web isn't necessarily good for e-mail. What's good for the
Web is even less likely to be good for an intermediate clipboard format.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden@endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden@jabber.org>