Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: Tantek «elik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:04:10 -0800
To: Jonas JÝrgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>, <www-html@w3.org>

On 1/15/03 9:00 AM, "Jonas JÝrgensen" <jonasj@jonasj.dk> wrote:

> Tantek «elik wrote:
>> If you cannot see the need for the style attribute, it may simply indicate
>> that you have not experienced the real world situations where it is
>> necessary.
>>
>> I think this is in general the problem with the discussion of the 'style'
>> attribute.  On one side there are semantic purists that don't understand
>> what the problem is and therefore claim there is no problem, and on the
>> other side there are _experienced_ folks that have seen numerous real world
>> situations where the style attribute is not only useful, but essential.
>>
>> These real world situations have been listed in threads in this list, but
>> always ignored or belittled.
>
> Name one. Just one.

Please research the archives of www-html and www-style.  Many others have
provided many examples, and some (like Daniel Glazman, and Chris Mannall)
continue to do so.

I'm convinced the style attribute has good and appropriate uses and is
necessary.  Many others are as well.  Thus dropping it for "semantic purity"
should be _out_of_the_question_ for practical reasons alone.

Then again, if you want to go design a markup language that ignores customer
requirements, please go ahead, but I prefer if W3C were not to waste time
with such futile dead end science projects.

Tantek