Proposed 'Author' link-type

From: Andy Holmes <aholmes84@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:47:15 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

I'd like to make a proposition to add a link-type, "Author", to the
linking module. The current de-facto way of denoting an authour in an
HTML/XHTML document is with a <meta> tag in the head section which is
uncharacteristically restrictive for XML. Using the "Author" link-type
authours could link to anything that can be formatted as a URI. That
could be something as simple as a homepage, an e-mail address or
something more extensive like an RDF document such as FOAF.

I realize that there already is a "Meta" link-type in XHTML 2.0, but
that is defined as "[referring] to a document that provides metadata,
for instance in RDF, about the current document" and not specifically
about the author. Maybe this eliminates the need for and "Author"
link-type, maybe not. Thoughts?

-Andy