Re: [XHTML2] Inline list element proposal

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:20:24 +0200 (EET)
To: www-html@w3.org

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>   This raises a good point about whether <ul> and <ol> should have their
> content models changed to include <label> as well.  Currently, the can
> both only include <li>, but a <label> could add so much more information
> about the list.
> Perhaps they should be:
> ul (label?, li+)
> ol (label?, li+)

Or the <lh> (list header) element of the HTML 3.0 proposal could be
resurrected.

But regarding "inline lists", I think that as soon as we get rid of the
artificial block/inline distinction, it becomes apparent that we can allow
a list inside a paragraph. (Its visual presentation may vary, and perhaps
there should be (gasp) presentational attributes that specify the
preferred rendering, reflecting the nature of the list.)

It's not uncommon to have a paragraph that is immediately followed by an
itemized list so that the list is logically part of the paragraph. Marking
the paragraph as list header would be unnatural.