Re: [XHTML2] Inline list element proposal

From: Ineke van der Maat <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:19:02 +0100
To: <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

Hello Ernst,

You wrote:
> The Fellowship of the Ring consisted of nine members.
> Frodo and Sam were selected at the Council of Elrond,
> along with Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir,
> Gimli, and Legolas. Only reluctantly did Elrond
> consent to including the other two hobbits that accompanied Frodo to
> Rivendell, Merry and Pippin, in the Fellowship,
> as he had thought to send them back to the Shire to warn the Hobbits.
> <ul class="fellowship">
> <label>The Fellowship of the Ring</label>.
> <li>Frodo</li>
> <li>Sam</li>
> <li>Gandalf</li>
> <li>Aragorn</li>
> <li>Boromir</li>,
> <li>Gimli</li>
> <li>Legolas</li>
> <li>Merry</li>
> <li>Pippin</li>
> </ul>

I think this way is very confusing, especcially for people with learn
disabilities. I should first mention all the members of the fellowship
in a  normal list as a reference and then explain what their special
relation is in a language that is as simple as possible. Perhaps a
definitionlist can do that more clearly?

I don't see how you want to show your inline-list-elements when
stylesheets are turned off.  This is a requirement for accessibility.

But I think that adding a label-element to all listtypes is not a bad
idea at all.

Greetings
Ineke van der Maat