From: Andy Holmes <aholmes84@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:30:15 -0800
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org

Karl Dubost wrote:
> You could achieve the same presentation and the same meaning with:
>
> Example 1 (not valid now)
> ==========
> Street, Douglas City</address>.</p>
> ==========
> in CSS,    p address {display: block;}
>
> AND
>
> Example 2
> ==========
> <address>Acme Inc. 42, Main Street, Douglas City</address>
> ==========

I think I'd have to disagree with this. In my view <address>/<addr> does
not apply just to street adresses and so it has different structural
meaning for different types of addresses.

Consider:

You can get in touch with me via my e-mail address, <addr
href="mailto:aholmes84@shaw.ca">aholmes84@shaw.ca</addr>

Versus:

Or send me snail-mail at the address:

<blockaddr>
Andy Holmes<br/>
123 Nowhere St.<br/>
New York, NY 66666<br/>
</blockaddr>

These quite obviously differ in more than presentation, although you are
right that it could be easy to be confused about the difference between
presentation and structure in some cases. I hope I've made it a little
clearer how I believe these two differ structurally...

- Andy