Re: [XHTML2] Abandon DTD? (was Re: <meta> anywhere)

From: Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.nu>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:46:04 +0200
To: <www-html@w3.org>, "William F Hammond" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>

William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu> wrote:

> With the document side of XML where a DTD model is insufficient, isn't
> the tradition to require DTD validation _and_ a noiseless run through
> some other form of validating processor?
>
> I think that makes sense for XHTML.  That is, "valid" might, for example,
> mean both DTD valid and relax-ng valid.

I imagine it would be annoying to have your document be validated against a
DTD if you used elements and attributes from other namespaces which the DTD
(necessarily) did not cover.  DTDs are not just insufficient; they are too
sloppy and too strict at the same time.

--
Daniel Brockman
daniel@brockman.nu