Re: [XHTML2] Abandon DTD? (was Re: <meta> anywhere)

Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> writes:

> I'm not aware of any concrete plan to completely abandon DTDs in XHTML 2.0.
> It has always been the Working Group's position to provide multiple
> schema implementations, including DTD.  Whether it should be normative
> or not is highly debatable.
>
> That said, more and more issues make it rather impractical to use DTD -
> accommodating RDF/XML is a notable example.  The RDF in XHTML Task
> Force [1] will remain stuck, unless we give up DTD or give up RDF/XML.
. . .
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/

Why stuck?  [1] is an email archive.  Could you summarize in a few
words or is it really complicated?

Granted that DTD models do not incorporate fine-grained specifications
of the type that are important in the EDI side of XML, nonetheless I find
that DTD validation is good for locating structural markup problems, and,
therefore, is helpful to human authors.

With the document side of XML where a DTD model is insufficient, isn't
the tradition to require DTD validation _and_ a noiseless run through
some other form of validating processor?

I think that makes sense for XHTML.  That is, "valid" might, for example,
mean both DTD valid and relax-ng valid.

                                    -- Bill