Re: more xhtml 2.0 comments

Michael Day wrote:

> > Indeed, especially as names beginning with 'Mc' are treated differently
> > in a lexical comparison (i.e., they are placed before names beginning
> > with 'Ma') - something that would be very difficult to represent with
> > markup.
>
> Good point. So perhaps "Mc" is the character that should exist?
> Either way, I don't see a superscript c or a Mc character in UNICODE at
> the moment; does anyone know about 4.0 or upcoming versions?

I strongly doubt that an 'Mc' character will ever be part of Unicode.
The Unicode view is that 'Mc' is what the standard refers to as a
grapheme, and as such it should be encoded as two characters 'M' and
'c'.  Existing multi-letter characters, sich as 'Dz' were included in
Unicode only because they existing in pre-UNICODE character sets and
were therefore included in Unicode to facilitate conversion between
those character sets and Unicode on a character for character basis.

As for the suggestion of including <super>c, I also doubt that Unicode
variations I've seen of how to present Mc. Might I suggest using this:
  <abbr title="Mac">Mc</abbr>
since 'Mc' will probably never appear in Unicode unless someone can
provide a more impressive reason than what has neen presented here.