Re: [XHTML2] Poor little old <a>

Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> "Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an idea that might just revive a reason for <a>, nested <a>'s.
>
> Current WG position is that unlike previous versions of (X)HTML,
> we do allow nested links in XHTML2, treated like nested XLinks
> in SVG.  As far as I know, various SVG implementations have no
> problem to handle nested XLinks.
>
> > However, what if nested <a>'s were treated in a manner similar to
> > <object>  That is, suppose we have the following XHTML fragment:

> Another proposal is to use nested 'a' for one-to-many linking.
> You might want to have a look at Bob DuCharme's excellent
> demonstration [2] and his related article [3].  Yet another
> proposal is to allow a list of URIs for 'href' rather than
> a single URI.

I took a look at it just now , but unless the proposal was for a format
where the user-agent could decide to open all the links at once, Bob's
demonstration didn't seem to me to be any different from an <nl> with
<a>'s inside each <li>.

With a list of URI's for href will also come the need for a list of
MIME-types for type (or hreftype, since type is currently overloaded
with multiple uses.)  Potentially bulky, if the author is allowed to
specify a different group of acceptable types for each href, but not
unmanageable.