Re: XHTML2 MIME type

On Tuesday 08 Apr 2003 5:59 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:41:39PM +0100, Jim Dabell wrote:
> | Will there be a new MIME type for XHTML2, or are people expecting to
> | use application/xhtml+xml?  If there is not going to be an
> | XHTML2-specific MIME type, how are servers supposed to distinguish
> | between user-agents that can handle XHTML2 and those that cannot (for
> | the purpose of content negotiation in particular)?
>
> The world didn't end when we used the same MIME types for HTML 4 and
> HTML 3.2!

HTML4 was backwards-compatible.  XHTML2 is explicitly not.

> Besides which, most browsers that handle application/xhtml+xml do so by
> pushing it through a generic XML+CSS/XSLT rendering engine after
> applying a default style, a technique that should still work with
> XHTML2.

The technique might work, the particular implementations will not.  Even
when the installed user-base of XHTML2 user-agents is at 90% or so, there
will still be the 10% that need an older version, unless you propose
writing "backwards-compatible" XHTML2?

--
Jim Dabell