Re: XHTML2 MIME type

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:59:09 +0100
To: Jim Dabell <jim-www-html@jimdabell.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:41:39PM +0100, Jim Dabell wrote:
| Will there be a new MIME type for XHTML2, or are people expecting to use
| application/xhtml+xml?  If there is not going to be an XHTML2-specific MIME
| type, how are servers supposed to distinguish between user-agents that can
| handle XHTML2 and those that cannot (for the purpose of content negotiation
| in particular)?

The world didn't end when we used the same MIME types for HTML 4 and
HTML 3.2!

Besides which, most browsers that handle application/xhtml+xml do so by
pushing it through a generic XML+CSS/XSLT rendering engine after
applying a default style, a technique that should still work with
XHTML2.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:tobyink@goddamn.co.uk | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:tobyink@a-message.de