Re: [XHTML2] Unicode line and paragraph separators

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:12:16 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

On 7 Apr 2003 at 15:55, Masayasu wrote:

> "Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > If there
> > were no earlier (X)HTML standards, I think that separator model would
> > be clearly the superior.
>
> Back to 10+ years ago, <p> was an empty paragraph separator in HTML.
> It was changed to a container element in HTML 2.0.  Your argument
> sounds like a step backwards.

That ignores the fact that in HTML 2.0 there is no <div>. Without a
generic block element such as div, a paragraph separator is clearly
insufficient and hence the change for separator to container was an
improvement in that context. By the time that <div> was added, support
for <p> as a container was so widespread that reversing direction and
making <p> be only a separator again was not possible nor desirable.
Marking paragraph boundaries with separator should be done only with a
formatting character and only if a generic block element exists. If no
formatting character exists or if a generic block element does not
exist, then markup is the only reasonable alternative.