Re: OL needs the start attribute

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:50:22 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> I would think not. From the point of view of HTML and ordered lists, it
> couldn't be less important how the items are called. With a structured

The problem that HTML has in this area is that it is being used to make
legal documents, particularly national legislation, accessible, and these
use use section and paragraph numbers as their "hyperlinks".  Unfortunately,
the nature of legal documents is that you cannot safely change their
appearence in this respect, so section 3a(4) has to remain that, not
become blue underlined "Use of HTML in Legal Documents".

Using something like DOCBOOK (assuming that it can do this) or Word
(which can, but rarely is written to do so) destroys the accessibility.