Re: OL needs the start attribute

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:52:47 -0700
To: Joanne Hunter <jrhunter@menagerie.tf>, <www-html@w3.org>

On 10/14/02 4:56 PM, "Joanne Hunter" <jrhunter@menagerie.tf> wrote:

> The following text was discovered Saturday 12 October 2002 in a note
> attributed to one ""Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu>":
>

>> The 'start' attribute on 'ol' needs to be reinstated for XHTML 2.
>>
>> I know some consider basic numbering in ordered lists to fall within the
>> "style" domain.  At one point I felt the same way, but I now think that
>> is severely misguided.  A recent trip to Google Groups confirms this:
>> witness the number of folks who consciously choose one of the
>> Transitional DTD's -- or none at all -- over CSS hackery.
>
> Another point: CSS numbering has been taken out of CSS 2.1, so this is
> probably even more important.

Actually, due to feedback (and the fact that it looks like we have two
interoperable implementations of counters), numbering will be in the next
draft of CSS 2.1.

However, I strongly agree with Jelks' original email - I consider the values
of the numbers of ordered lists to be in the "content" domain rather than
the "style" domain 90% of the time.

I also think the 'start' attribute on 'ol' should be reinstated.

Thanks,

Tantek