Re: Subheadings desired in XHTML 2.0

From: Liorean <Liorean@user.bip.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:24:44 +0100
To: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>, www-html@w3.org

At 18:50 2002-11-06 -0500, Etan Wexler wrote:
>How does XHTML 2.0 deal with subheadings?  How should XHTML deal with

By nesting heading/section.

>Do subheadings need a distinct element type?  Should subheadings be
>children of headings rather than siblings of headings?

They should be children of sections, and nephews(?) of headings.

>Given an article with the main heading "Foo" and with the subheading
>"Bar", given the possibility of an element type 'sh' for subheadings, and
>assuming that the examples are valid, which of the following document
>fragments is most appropriate?  Why is that?

None, really. You need a section element to differentiate the heading level.

><!-- begin 1 -->
><!-- begin 2 -->
><!-- begin 3 -->
><!-- begin 4 -->

IMO, the correct way to do this should be the same as for multilevel
headings, as follows:
       Main heading

The top section element can be left out, though, since other elements (eg
body, div) provide their containing block.

The reason I think this is the way of including subheadings, is that I
think a subheading is really just a lower-level separate heading. It's
semantically equivalent of a nested heading directly following the
higher-level heading.

// Liorean