Re: Standards & Accessibility compliancy in wysiwyg editors

Denis Boudreau [ CYBERcodeur.net ] wrote:
> I am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> standards-and-accessibility-compliant-wysiwyg-html-editor on the market
> today. Has anyone ever heard of such thing?

wysiwyg = what you see is what _YOU_ get (emphasis mine).

The problem is that YOUR output device can differ hugely from the device
I or some other page reader uses. For example, if your output device is
visual and I happen to use aural browser then how on earth should you be
able to decide with visual WYSIWYG editor whether or not the result is
OK? Also note the word "see" in the acronym--blind people exists too as
you know.

WYSIWYG is OK when you're laying out brochure or something that has only
one output media (fixed size paper). Such an editor has no value when
doing accessible web pages. Something more like LyX [1] document
processor <URL:http://www.lyx.org/> might be OK, though. I don't know
about such a thing for (X)HTML. (X)HTML is simple enough language to
type directly with a text editor.

[1] LyX is sometimes claimed to be WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You
Mean) editor.

--
Mikko