Content handling (Was Re: Problems with xhtml11.dtd?)

Tom Gilder <w3c@tom.me.uk> writes:

> On Friday, May 17, 2002, 1:59:06 PM, Christoph Schneegans wrote:
> > IE's MIME type detection takes the leading 256 bytes into account.

Is this officially documented by IE?  Reference?

> That would explain why IE attempts to render
> http://tom.me.uk/2002/3/test.zip as XML instead of downloading, how
> incredibly idiotic.

Isn't that served through http as "application/x-zip-compressed"?
What action is configured for that (unregistered) content-type?
(I guess the client understands the type because the client and the
server come from the same shop.)  How does one know that it's not
sniffing the file system suffix (".xml") in the zip-archive's list
rather than looking at the top of the content?

BTW, "application/zip" _is_ a registered content type.  See
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types .

                                    -- Bill