W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-html@w3.org > June 2002

RE: [xml-dev] XHTML modularisation causes strange error with MSXML

From: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:00:18 -0700
Message-ID: <8BD7226E07DDFF49AF5EF4030ACE0B7E0696F553@red-msg-06.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: "MAISONNY Benoit" <Benoit.MAISONNY@eurocontrol.int>, <www-html@w3.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Does this newsgroup post solve your problems 

	
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=DXc2q8GFBHA.259%40cppssbbsa01.micro
soft.com 

if not can you update me on what the problems you have afterwards are? 

Thanks. 

-- 
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM 
Rule of Accuracy: When working toward the solution of a problem, it
always helps if you know the answer. 
Corollary: Provided, of course, that you know there is a problem. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights. 



> -----Original Message-----
> From: MAISONNY Benoit [mailto:Benoit.MAISONNY@eurocontrol.int] 
> Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 5:09 AM
> To: 'www-html@w3.org'; 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
> Subject: [xml-dev] XHTML modularisation causes strange error 
> with MSXML
> 
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I wrote a DTD for a type of aeronautical document, using 
> XHTML Modularisation. This worked fine until I tried to 
> validate the DTD and sample documents with MSXML4 SP1 (and 
> earlier). Needless to say they validate with Xerces and 
> ElCel's xmlvalid (and even with XMLSpy, after adding a space 
> into empty parameter entities).
> 
> I found some messages on xml-dev[1] and www-html[2] related 
> to MSXML in the context of XHTML m12n and 1.1, but I can't 
> find any solution/workaround for the following error message 
> (output by xmlint.exe, Microsoft's validator):
> 
>     A name was started with an invalid character.
>     URL: file:///H:/eAIP/_dev/xhtml/eAIP/sample7-id.xml
>     Line 00001: &&
>     Pos  00002: -^
> 
> As you can expect, that file begins with <?xml ... and not 
> with && or whatever.
> 
> A page[3] on microsoft.com explains this can be caused by 
> encoding issues, but it is not my case: I checked the files 
> at byte level to be sure (they are UTF-8). It doesn't seem to 
> be an OS issue neither (same on NT4 & win98).
> 
> I suppose it's a bug in MSXML and I won't wait for MS to 
> correct it for me
> :-)
> So my question is rather: what causes this error? Is there a 
> workaround? (I am not against a small change in the DTD that 
> would magically please MSXML.) Should I give up XHTML m12n 
> and instead adapt XHTML 1.0 extensively to suit my needs? 
> (not that I want to!)
> 
> Thanks for any help and sorry for cross-posting,
> Benoit
> 
> [1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00502.html
>     http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00616.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002May/0036.html
> [3] 
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/dnwebteam/h
tml/webteam08062001.asp

......................................................................
Benoit MAISONNY                        benoit.maisonny@eurocontrol.int
eAIP development & support   http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/ahead/eaip
EUROCONTROL                        Aeronautical Information Management

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>

The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/

To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
manager: <http://lists.xml.org/ob/adm.pl>
Received on Friday, 28 June 2002 12:01:00 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 18:15:52 GMT