Re: proposal for HTML4.01 amendment: <HR PAGEBREAK="before">

From: Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 05:42:59 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 02:05:21PM +0100, Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
> Hello Philip,

Howdy :-)

> ..
> > I say yes[pagebreaks are useful for non-print media], because the "page"
> > metaphore extends beyond simply the printed
> > page: it is useful for the concept of a browser "window" also.
>
> I do not want to agree on that.
> The page metaphore already exists for a browser window and is simply
> represented by a HTML file.

Here's where I disagree with YOUR premise :-)
I think you are saying
'there is already an entity called an HTML/web "page", which does not
 match up to your terms...'

The trouble is... whoever first called it a "page" was an idiot!
A page is something of fixed physical size, that contains all or part of
a written work.
The clear analogy for that in the electronic realm is a "window".
A web "page" should simply be called a web "doc" or something.

That being said, I recognize popular usage,and if your main objection is
the name, I'm happy to hear alternate names for the attribute :-)
<hr framediv=here> ?

BTW: I dont see your comment about hr not being in XHTML-BASIC as relevant.
XHTML-BASIC is designed for things like CELLPHONES! WIth a screen that
tiny, you can barely do much more than simple H# tags :-/