Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:50:02 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> I fail to see how you came to this conclusion based on the DTD.  Can you
> explain in detail what led you to this conclusion?

His argument is based on the fact that SHORTTAG means that
is equivalent to:

I don't have the ISO documents, only the book "Practical SGML", but
it seems to me that a well formed br element, using SHORTTAG optimisation,
but not making use of the o in the content model, would be:

However, as I already pointed out, the XHTML compatibility rules attempt
to make XHTML compatible with popular web browsers, not with strict
SGML parsers.