Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:01:43 -0500
To: "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

> Also, if <br /> in HTML was equivalent to <br>&gt;, then that would seem to
> indicate that every web browser out there is broken, and should display this
> as a line break followed by the greater than symbol.

That's correct.  Most of the existing web browsers do not have HTML
parsers. They have tag soup parsers that make at best a token attempt to parse
HTML correctly (containment, NET, comments, the list of things that are parsed
incorrectly goes on and on).

>  I don't know what
> logic you are using to determine that <br /> = <br>&gt;, but it seems flawed
> to me.

"<br /" by itself is equivalent to "<br>" in HTML because the DTD enables the
SGML shorthand feature for this.  Please do read the existing (extensive)
archived discussion of this and related issues.

Boris
--
We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The
question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough