Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:01:43 -0500
To: "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

> Also, if <br /> in HTML was equivalent to <br>&gt;, then that would seem to
> indicate that every web browser out there is broken, and should display this
> as a line break followed by the greater than symbol.

That's correct.  Most of the existing web browsers do not have HTML
parsers. They have tag soup parsers that make at best a token attempt to parse
HTML correctly (containment, NET, comments, the list of things that are parsed
incorrectly goes on and on).

>  I don't know what
> logic you are using to determine that <br /> = <br>&gt;, but it seems flawed
> to me.

"<br /" by itself is equivalent to "<br>" in HTML because the DTD enables the
SGML shorthand feature for this.  Please do read the existing (extensive)
archived discussion of this and related issues.

We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The
question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough
to have a chance of being correct.  My own feeling is
that it is not crazy enough.
                                     -- Niels Bohr