Re: Promotion of XHTML

Peter wrote on Monday, December 30, 2002 at 11:47:23 AM:

> Which leads me to believe that text/html is correct for XHTML
> documents when used as HTML for web sites.

That's true if it's HTML-compatible XHTML 1.0, but not (for example)
XHTML 1.1 or normal XHTML 1.0. The original point was, for those
documents NOT served as text/html, Win IE chokes. The reason is, of
course, that Win IE only supports HTML, not XHTML. It can handle
HTML-compatible XHTML 1.0 *because* it's HTML-compatible. Win IE has
no actual XHTML support--just HTML support. Hopefully a future version
will support XHTML.

--
John