RE: Promotion of XHTML

Jonas, in the summary of that page it says:

'application/xhtml+xml' SHOULD be used for XHTML Family documents

and:

the use of 'text/html' SHOULD be limited to HTML-compatible XHTML 1.0
documents

Which leads me to believe that text/html is correct for XHTML documents when
used as HTML for web sites.  Especially after reading paragraph 2 of section
3.1:

[XHTML1], Appendix C "HTML Compatibility Guidelines" summarizes design
guidelines for authors who wish their XHTML documents to render on existing
HTML user agents. The use of 'text/html' for XHTML SHOULD be limited for the
purpose of rendering on existing HTML user agents, and SHOULD be limited to
[XHTML1] documents which follow the HTML Compatibility Guidelines. In
particular, 'text/html' is NOT suitable for XHTML Family document types that
adds elements and attributes from foreign namespaces, such as XHTML+MathML
[XHTML+MathML].

The important thing to note is that (in this thread) we are talking about
XHTML as an HTML standard, nothing more.  Which means a solution that is
compatible with existing HTML user agents.  We're not talking about adding
MathML or any other XML application into the mix.  This is purely HTML.  So
based on what I've read in the W3 documents, I think text/html is perfectly
fine.

Pete