escaping escaping

From: Wingnut <wingnut@winternet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:41:01 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org

Hello!  Can we chew on the possibility of using CSS's...

style='display: escaped;'

... where a styled-as-such elements' contents would hit the browser
escaped (not rendered), as in HTML source text?  I probably have my
terms screwed up, but you understand. :) I am looking for a
container-tag or method to display html source without manually or
dynamically escaping the lt's, gt's, quotes, amps, etc... during
authoring.  display: escaped; sounded rather interesting so I thought
I'd throw it to the wolves for consumption. :)  I'm still looking-into
SOURCE, CODE, PRE, SAMP, etc.  All comments welcome.  If
topic-wandering, email directly to me as wanted.

Best regards!
Uncle Wingnut
wingnut@winternet.com