Re: In support of the "line space" (nee <hr>)

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:40-0900
To: www-html@w3.org

Bill Daly asked about using empty, CSS-styled 'div' elements as section separators:

> But is that a solution or a hack?

It is most definitely a hack.  The empty 'div' elements used as section
separators are even worse than 'hr' elements, if that can be.  The
semantics of an 'hr' element are close to zero, but historical use
suggests that an 'hr' element might be a section separator.  Using an
empty 'div' element as a section separator subverts and perverts the
semantics of the element type.  There is no historical use of empty 'div'
elements as separators, so heuristics will do no good.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>
"The call is over and I sit with lime skittle sour in my mouth.  I