Re: Verbosity of XHTML 2

From: Lachlan Cannon <luminosity@members.evolt.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:23:42 +1000
To: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

>>You could produce a schema of course, and then produce a non-normative
>>DTD that expresses everything the same but in terms of default
>>namespaces.
>

> We could provide a non-normative DTD, but if it's non-normative,
> don't assume you can omit the namespace declarations from your
> document.

Sorry, I didn't word that well. When I said default namespaces i meant
using xmlns:xlink for xlinks for example. Show people how it's done with
a certain namespace, and then they can do the same with a different one
if they want.

> It's good to know someone tried it, thanks.  The most unfortunate
> restriction in the XHTML+MathML+SVG DTD is that authors cannot
> use namespace defaulting for XHTML and SVG at the same time due to
> name collision.  When an author tries to include an SVG fragment
> inside XHTML, the most natural usage would be just declare
> the default namespace for that SVG fragment and won't prefix SVG.
> Vast majority of SVG document out there are not prefixed, and
> people would like to just copy and paste them inside XHTML.
> It's perfectly a legitimate use case and should just work that way,
> yet DTD cannot allow such usage.
>
>   cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG/#bug-name-collision
>
> If we include some portion of SVG in XHTML 2.0, we'll face the same
> problem so long as we use DTD.

By namespace defaulting here do you mean that I don't have to start
mathml or xhtml fragments with a namespace prefix in these documents? If
so that alone is very cool (from a saved bandwidth perspective anyway).

I thought that whenever two different xml applications were combined
together namespaces *had* to be used?

Thanks,
--
Lach